Thursday, September 4, 2008

Your money's no good here (get the hell out)

Dear me. I have exited the house through a back window and proceeded to Hamilton Street to get my bearings. I'm not sure what has happened to me -- or, rather what has happened to those around me, for I feel quite fine and it is they who are acting out of character.

There is no trace of the secret room in Karl's -- I mean Atown Liker's -- house. And no trace of Marge either, thank goodness, or those horrid polar bear rugs. I can't help but wonder if something happened at that seance. I don't remember anything after that boxer fellow drifted off ....
.
Hamilton Street looks quite strange. Strange, yet beautiful. My word, there's Hess's! It's open for business and looking newer and bigger than ever. I must have a piece of strawberry pie in the Patio .... And what's this? "The Irish Brew Works." Actually there appears to be an Irish Brew Works on every corner, as well as a Tommy Tomorrow's Mexican restaurant. ... Oh my! Is that a monorail?
.
And there on the corner! Do my eyes deceive me? It is Atown-Liker himself, alive and in the flesh! He's there on the corner of Ninth and Hamilton carrying a sandwich board sign that reads "Allentown is NOT Nice." Can it be?

Mr. Liker! Over here! Oh thank heavens, you are alive!

Saints preserve us, laddie, alive I am. Would ye have a reason to believe otherwise? Though I am dyin' of thirst. The Irish Tenor is me name.


It's me, the Green Guy. Don't you recognize me?

Ah yes, green ye are. Ye certainly are that. Forty shades o' green in fact, just like me beloved Emerald Isle. But perhaps I could remember ye better, laddie, over a wee drink. Parched I am, parched indeed.


Why do you carry that sandwich board? Have you become a naysayer? I thought you were an apologist. What does it say on the other side ... "The World is About to End"? Oh my word. This doesn't sound like you at all.


Ah this sign. Why, Ronan himself gave it to me to carry. Carry this sign he says to meself and I'll give ye a bottle of Jameson's. Don't carry he says and I'll kill ye where ye stand. You know, lad, a wee drop of the stuff at the Irish Brew Works yonder may may jog my memory. ...
Fine, we'll have a drink. ... Barkeep! A glass of Irish whiskey for my compatriot and a sloe gin fizz for myself. ... Oh my. I don't seem to have any money ... OH MY LORD, NO!! NO!!!!!!


Your money's no good here, Player. This is an Eagles bar! E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!! We're honored to have yuhs here. Everything for you and your pal here is on me. HEY! Everybody look who's here -- it's THE PLAYER!!!!


FLY EAGLES FLY, ON THE ROAD TO VICTORY, FIGHT EAGLES FIGHT, SCORE A TOUCHDOWN ONE, TWO, THREE ....


Oh my. I can't breathe. The bartender ... what is her name?


Ah that's Flo, a fine lass she is. Do ye fancy her? I've done work as a babhdóir, I'll have ye know. I can arrange a match for ye for a small fee?


Good Lord, no. She simply reminded me of someone ....

.


... E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.


Ah, fine. I may have a go at her meself, then. You're a popular man, you are, with all a these good people buying our drinks and chanting your name.


You, know ... a fellow could get used to this, couldn't he? The adulation ... and this beautiful city of yours. Tell me who is this Ronan and how could he possibly find anything to be wanting in a place as beautiful as this?


Ronan? There's a hard lad, that one. If you don't know him, consider yourself lucky. Not a fella you'd want to meet. Trust me. Begorra, since we're so popular I think we could do with a couple a steaks. .... Ah saints preserve us, laddie, you're on television!




I've been carrying this damn team on my back for too long. I won three damn Superbowls by my damn self. Enough's enough. I'm not gonna play another game till I get more money. Last year when McNabb left the game with a nervous stomach in the fourth quarter I had to play receiver AND quarterback. I had to throw the damn game-winning touchdown to MYSELF. I think every player on this team should give back half their pay and all that money should go to me. And I don't care about the damn fans either. They should all pay me too. All you Eagles fans out there can kiss my green ass!


(Stunned silence.)


Well laddie, I think it's time to be gettin back to me corner. Flo, I'd like to have that steak to go.
Gulp.

You ungrateful bastard! You get the hell outta my bar and don't come back! And take Andy Reid here with you. Sonofabitch!

No comments: